Saturday, November 3, 2012

Money for nothin' and syncs for free!

By Andrew West Griffin
Posted: November 3, 2012

Whenever a sync appears and its related to music, I take notice. It's always fun for me and within the past hour or so, it happened.

Driving back from the country, down I-44, my wife and I tuned in "80's on 8" on Sirius XM. The 1985 Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" came on. It's a great pop ditty and guilty pleasure. A very 1980's pop-rock nugget.

As we sang along, the singer Sting came to mind. I was thinking about how "Money for Nothing" and Sting's wonderful Dream of the Blue Turtles album would have been on the charts at roughly the same time. As the song ended, the famous "I want my MTV" chorus came up - sung by Sting! I had completely forgotten this. But there it was. My mind was syncing "Money for Nothing" and Sting at the same time. I should also note that with my recent Bob Dylan syncs, Dire Straits singer and guitarist Mark Knopfler is opening up for Dylan in Tulsa this month.

As soon as I heard the last Sting-sung "I want my MTV," the next song - "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles came on. Of course! The first video to ever appear on MTV. What a treat!

As that MTV-related song ended, I looked up and saw the website www.m-v-t.com on the back of a semi truck. MVT? An  inverse of MTV? What is that? It stood for Mesilla Valley Transportation and m-v-t.com is their website. A sync wink? Yes, I do believe it was.

Of course this led to wondering if I would see the universal number "42." Indeed I would. Soon after, mile marker 142 appeared. It was a turning out to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment